On a good day, parenting will test the integrity of your character. On a bad day, parenting will test your will to live. Parenting children with trauma histories will cause you to test the integrity of everything and everyone you thought you knew, for the rest of your life.
~J. Skrobisz

Sunday, March 21, 2010

busted

If you haven't already, read last night's post first or this one won't make much sense.

Sissy set off the alarm this morning. big surprise there. The Dad and I knew she'd try it. She feigned ignorance. Of course.

So we told her to stay in her space, that she didn't get to come out until we said so. And that every time she asked "CAN I COME OUT NOW?!?!?!" we'd add another 20 minutes. That was at 8:30. She asked. Alot. She won an escape-from-her-room ticket at 10:20 but first...

I busted her little "hearing" problem.

I brought her her medicine and her breakfast. I said in calm loving tones, "Sissy, this is what family is. This is what love is. You have had very bad behavior but I'm a good mom. I'm taking care of you anyway. Because I love you. Because it is my responsibility. Because this is what family does."

"WHAT?!?!? I didn't hear you!!!" (I was standing practically nose to nose with her.)

"you heard me"

"When do I get to come out?"

"your father already told you."

"I didn't hear! I don't remember!"

"Keep up your screaming and I'll add another 20 minutes and it'll be 10:40" and I walked away.

Screaming, shouting, hollering. *roll eyes*

I gathered my resolve, planned what I would do and re-entered her space.

I leaned in very close and in a barely audible whisper with perfect diction and straight tone, not accusatory or angrily, I said "Sissy, I'm going to talk very, very quietly to you on purpose so you have no choice but to listen to what I'm saying because you 'can't hear' good. You want to know when you come out? 10:20 unless you keep screaming. Then it'll be 10:40. Ok?"

"OK, I got you now" she said loudly to my face without flinching.

I stood straight up and said sternly and equally loudly back, "Yeah. You got me."

Bluff called. Hearing problem - Busted.

I walked out and she hasn't said a word. It's officially five minutes after her release time and I'm not itching to let her out and she's not chomping at the bit or begging to be released. Fancy that.

1 comment:

GB's Mom said...

Busted! At least one of you gets some satisfaction!