On a good day, parenting will test the integrity of your character. On a bad day, parenting will test your will to live. Parenting children with trauma histories will cause you to test the integrity of everything and everyone you thought you knew, for the rest of your life.
~J. Skrobisz

Monday, June 6, 2011

Sneak Peak

I've mentioned a few times that I am making a few lap-sized quilts to auction in Corey's Christmas in July auction to raise money for Orlando. The items will be shipped to Corey and posted on her blog for the auction. Today I'm giving you a sneak peak at one of them.

The top panel of the Christmas Throw quilt
Finished size 46 inches x 65 inches

"Fussy Cut" [1]corners that have a different Santa in each (sorry, they're white Santas. It's hard to find neutral toned or dark skinned Santa christmas fabric!)

The back of the quilt which says "Holiday Wishes", "Peace" and "Noel" in red, green and gold

When I get the other panels assembled, I'll let you have a sneak peek at those too. And as I mentioned earlier, so far what I'm using is from my personal stash and from gifts that other readers have sent. The average lap sized quilt start-to-finish costs about $45 USD to make. If you are interested in helping with the fund raiser but don't think you will be making any purchases in the auction, I will gladly accept donations of scrap fabric, large scraps of batting and/or JoAnn's gift cards. If you like, I will be glad to send copies of receipts so you can be sure I've spent the money on these projects.

Long overdue, some pictures of WG's recital. There was a no-camera policy so I snapped a quick shot at the house on the day of the rehearsal and then while she was on the stage at rehearsal. (She's front row, far left) This is her tap costume. With all the hustle and bustle with the costume change, I forgot to get a picture of her in the ballet costume.



[1]"fussy cut" is a quilting term in which you cut fabric to get a particular shape, image, phrase or pattern to appear in the finished quilt after piecing. The first time I said it to WG, she was confused. "Mom, does that mean you go 'AUUUUGGGHHH!!!!' and make a big fuss and THEN you cut the fabric?" I laughed so hard I couldn't breathe because in addition to screaming like a wild banshee, her rendition of fussing, she shook her body all over in quasi contortions. Then added when I finally stopped giggling, "you know, how Sissy does?" Which made me laugh even harder.

4 comments:

GB's Mom said...

Beautiful!

Pat said...

Your quilt looks great!

cinch said...

The quilt is awesome but the young lady is totally BEAUTIFUL!

Ilsa said...

That quilt is gorgeous!