On a good day, parenting will test the integrity of your character. On a bad day, parenting will test your will to live. Parenting children with trauma histories will cause you to test the integrity of everything and everyone you thought you knew, for the rest of your life.
~J. Skrobisz

Sunday, April 1, 2012

April Fools

I've never understood the reasoning behind April Fool's Day. I suppose it doesn't help that I don't like to be tricked. Trickery and deception are a quick trigger for me. Nonetheless,Friday Sissy announced with glee that Saturday would be April Fool's Day.

Me: "Um, no. April Fool's Day is Sunday."
Sissy: "huh? No it's not, it's tomorrow."
Me: "Tomorrow is Saturday the 31st."
Sissy: "No. It's April first."
Me: *sighing* "There are 31 days in March. Today is the 30th. That means tomorrow is the 31st. April Fool's day is not until Sunday."
Sissy: "But I thought there were only 30 days in March."
Me: "There are 31."
Sissy: "are you sure?"
Me: *sighing deeper* "yes."
Sissy: "So Sunday is April Fool's Day?"
Me: "Yes."
Sissy: "YAY! Mom! Sunday is April Fool's Day!"
Me: "Yep."
Sissy: "So I can play tricks on you on Sunday?"
Me: "technically."
Sissy: "YAY! Mom? Why aren't you excited?"
Me: "I don't like April Fool's Day."
Sissy: "but why, it's fun!"
Me: "I never think of good tricks and I don't like tricks being played on me."
Sissy: "Oh. So can we still celebrate April Fool's Day?"
Me: "I wouldn't necessarily call it a day for celebration, but yes. If you want to."
Sissy: "YES!" and she skipped away.

The kids woke me up this morning and not one of them has remembered it's April Fool's Day. I'm not about to remind them. I MIGHT mention that it's Palm Sunday but April fool's Day? I'm no fool! I'm keeping that little nugget a secret for as long as possible ... say, until tomorrow morning?

No comments: