On a good day, parenting will test the integrity of your character. On a bad day, parenting will test your will to live. Parenting children with trauma histories will cause you to test the integrity of everything and everyone you thought you knew, for the rest of your life.
~J. Skrobisz

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

toothpaste

Rough evening. Sissy's beginning to unwind and get quirky. Tonight, MY undoing was her insanity over toothpaste. Not USING it, not the FLAVOR, not about BRUSHING, about the verification that the tube of toothpaste was indeed hers.

AB was showering in the hall bathroom, Sissy's hygiene bin is in there. I grabbed HER toothbrush and HER toothpaste from HER hygiene bin and brought it to my bedroom bathroom. As she did not personally witness me removing HER toothpaste from HER hygiene bin, she argued the validity of my claim that it was indeed HERS.

Point of fact, she was prepared to refuse brushing her teeth altogether because it could not be proven beyond my word that the toothpaste was HERS. From HER hygiene bin. Her only argument was that there were teeth marks on the cap.

Now, I COULD have argued back that I've personally witnessed her using her teeth to unfasten the cap. But I didn't. That would have been pouring gasoline on the fire. Instead I stood firm. "I don't know what to tell you other than I got the toothpaste from YOUR hygiene bin."

She grunted her frustration back at me.

I stared her down.

She went into the bathroom with a huff and a "FINE!"

I walked into the kitchen and banged my head on the pantry door.

Toothpaste. *thump*

TOOTHPASTE. *thump*

TOOTHPASTE!!!!!! *thump, thump, thump*

For the love of all that is holy, TOOTHPASTE is going to be the death of both of us.

WG suggested that I not bang my head because it might hurt later so instead we screamed into my bedroom pillows. Which, actually, was quite satisfying.

But now I have a headache. I should have opted for more trampoline time. (WG and I had some of that earlier in the evening because OMG, Sissy was driving us both crazy.)

I held it together moderately well today but TOOTHPASTE became my downfall. It's me or the toothpaste, either way, one of us has to go.

3 comments:

Last Mom said...

We had a toothpaste meltdown Monday. My girl became convinced that I was going to steal her toothpaste and frantically hid it.

Unknown said...

We have been having regular toothpaste meltdowns as well. It is now wedged upside down between the wires of the metal grate shelf of our bathroom stand. This was my eldest's idea of a compromise (although I still have to threaten to get him to use it--not sure if this is a sensory or a control issue). Perhaps I will take a picture of it and make it my profile picture. Hmmmm....

Cyndi said...

Why is it that they have to get so wrapped up in such minor matters? It bogs them down big time and causes so much grief. Maybe if we could figure that out we could get some where with the RAD issues. Maybe they do it because they have fought all the big battles and lost so they need something else to occupy their days.