On a good day, parenting will test the integrity of your character. On a bad day, parenting will test your will to live. Parenting children with trauma histories will cause you to test the integrity of everything and everyone you thought you knew, for the rest of your life.
~J. Skrobisz

Sunday, November 22, 2009

Peace in Puzzles

Introduction
It's a curious thing, blogging. Broadcasting the parts of your life that you are willing to share with countless strangers, globally, requires some pizazz, the ability to phrase things adequately and some boldness. Certainly, you can't be a private person that gets her feathers ruffled easily by comments from readers that don't see your point of view and aren't afraid of saying so. Likewise, you have to keep your readers interested while protecting the feelings and identities of the loved ones you discuss in the blog. It could be argued that blogging is a precarious occupation that has the potential to precipitate enormous chaos in your life. But we do it anyway because for those of us that are diehard bloggers, we know that putting what we think, say and do on the page and connecting with other bloggers that think, say and do as we do, is kin to a narcotic addiction.

The Pizzazz
"Peace in Puzzles" means...?
The blog title started with the iconic Autism image of puzzle pieces. Our son is on the autism spectrum and is he ever a puzzle! Following the free associatiative thought process, it is easy to make the connection that our daughter's mental health issues make her a puzzle to sort out as well. Since both of them present with enormous, daily challenges for our family, it often disrupts the peace in our home. And who doesn't like homophones? piece was easily swapped for peace. Voila! Peace in Puzzles

The Phrasing
Here's the deal. I have another blog in which I freely discuss everything I think and feel, with reckless abandon. But that blog is for a select audience. I know that what I say there could be hurtful to some of the people in my life. This blog will be different in that aspect. I will not disucss with abandon, rather I will be painting an informative portrait of events that occur in our family's life. No fabrications, just an article-style format.

The Boldness
Just like the next person, my feathers can be ruffled but when I know what needs to be done or that my decisions are good ones, I won't be moved. I like to hear and discuss other points of view but ultimately, I know that I'm making the best choices for me and my family.

5 comments:

The Accidental Mommy said...

Hi- Lisa directed me to your blog. I have found blogging to be a great help in keeping me sane and learning about all this "crazy" stuff! Good luck- I hope your daughter can stabalize in the RTC. If she is anything like my daughter she will be perfect, charming and an all around delight while there!

Diana said...

I'm a directed on as well, though I also see my blog in your blog list. Cool!

I, too, blog for therapy and for support, and for various other reasons as well. I'm looking forward to jumping on the train with you. It's quite the crazy ride.

Hopefully your family can find some healing and peace while your daughter is in the RTC.

Dia por Dia said...

Hi. Directed here by Lisa as well. (She is wonderful, isn't she!) Mom to 2 RAD kids (boy 10, girl 9.) He was in RTC before I got him (suicidal/homicidal ideation "to the max", medications, therapies, etc.) I found that therapy didn't really work for him and even though folks claimed to be working on attachment it was Attachment Therapy and ultimately escalated him. We had no available ATs in our state so on on own for a long time. We have tried lots of things with him and are still figuring it all out day by day. I will be following and happy to help as I can.

Dia (@ Rancho Chico)

stellarparenting.com said...

lisa sent me too, I agree with Essie, I also have 2 blogs and having one to vent/talk/look for help while parenting my monkeys makes me a much saner mama

Dia por Dia said...

Oops. I meant to say it WASN'T attachment therapy and was a disaster! I am of the mind that no therapy is infinitely better than "bad" therapy and you know your child best so go with your instincts!