On a good day, parenting will test the integrity of your character. On a bad day, parenting will test your will to live. Parenting children with trauma histories will cause you to test the integrity of everything and everyone you thought you knew, for the rest of your life.
~J. Skrobisz

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Twitching = Not Cool

Finally getting good reports and good grades out of AB and WG. Sending Sissy off the the hospital the day after their first day of school really put a monkey wrench in their transition. WG is now at a 5.6 reading level. Wow. WOW WOW. She is LOVING the addition of jazz to her dance class and is very excited about the accelerated student class she attends once a week. My backyard, living room and garage are filled with science experiments of sorts. That's what she calls them anyway.

Poor AB is still at 3.4 reading level. We don't tell him his kid sister is a stronger reader. However, to his credit, he has been pulling double time in his social studies and science grades. He got 100 on his cell project and an 80 on his last social studies test. What's more, he was very adamant about reading and studying for Friday's unit test. That's huge. My son telling ME he needs to study? Who is that kid? Not MY son! For him the motivation is strong. We revoked all "violent" programming until he had passing grades in everything. For AB, watching Godzi11a or netfl!x tv episodes about prehistoric creatures is violent. His teachers have been complaining that his free writing assignments have been very graphic. So we thought to kill two birds with one stone. Pretty savvy, eh?

I'm loving being back in the classroom... as a helper. Being responsible for lesson plans, progress monitoring, grades, answering to administration, meetings and all of that? Not so much. As in, no. But helping the first grade slow readers is a blast and I really enjoy the teacher I'm helping. We "get each other". We both run a classroom the same way so many times I've been a self-starter in helping her because I know what she's aiming for. She really appreciates the help because some of the students have some behavior concerns. Still don't know if I'm up for going back for more education for myself to get certified for public educating (I was private sector all those years). Thinking about it. But only thinking. Right now, I'm enjoying the instant rewards of helping little ones learn /ch/ and /tch/ sounds.

AB got fitted for his dental appliance today. $900 smackers on the dental card. Time to start quilting to earn the money to pay that bill.

Next week Medicaid reviews Sissy's case for approval of more time or discharge. I'm doing everything in the world that I can do to NOT think about it. I'm not being very successful. I'm twitching. A lot.

Twitching = not cool.

2 comments:

Becky said...

So I am not the only one who twitches? :-)

I wrote about The Twitch and will probably post it at some point...

I wish my stress response was still "The Twitch" despite how irritating and worrisome it was at times. Anything is better than the current stress response of tight back muscles pinching my sciatic! I will be SO glad when that lil irritant passes ;-)

Hugs to you!

Norah said...

Thanks for possting this