On a good day, parenting will test the integrity of your character. On a bad day, parenting will test your will to live. Parenting children with trauma histories will cause you to test the integrity of everything and everyone you thought you knew, for the rest of your life.
~J. Skrobisz

Thursday, February 23, 2012

Why Orlando?

Next week is ORLANDO! What is so stinkin' fantastic about Orlando and the ETAAM group and all of that wonderfulness? It's not Orlando, it's not the food, it's not the hot tub or the kid-free time. It's the women, 90+ this year, that understand and respect the Personal Bill of Rights.

I don't know the original author. I picked this up in therapy
PERSONAL BILL OF RIGHTS

1. I have the right to ask for what I want.

2. I have the right to say “no” to requests or demands I can’t meet.

3. I have the right to express all of my feelings, positive or negative

4. I have the right to change my mind.

5. I have the right to make mistakes and not have to be perfect.

6. I have the right to follow my own values and standards.

7. I have the right to say “no” to anything when I feel I am not ready, it is unsafe, or it violates my values.

8. I have the right to determine my own priorities.

9. I have the right not to be responsible for others’ behavior, actions, feelings or problems.

10. I have the right to expect honesty from others.

11. I have the right to be angry at someone I love.

12. I have the right to be uniquely myself.

13. I have the right to feel scared and say “I am afraid.”

14. I have the right to say “I don’t know.”

15. I have the right not to give excuses or reasons for my behavior

16. I have the right to not feel obligated to validate my feelings or decisions to anyone.

17. I have the right to make decisions based on my feelings.

18. I have the right to be playful and frivolous.

19. I have the right to be healthier than those around me.

20. I have the right to my own needs for personal space and time.

21. I have the right to be in a non-abusive relationship or environment.

22. I have the right to make friends and be comfortable around people.

23. I have the right to change and grow.

24. I have the right to have my needs and wants respected by others.

25. I have the right to be treated with dignity and respect.

26. I have the right to be happy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You forgot "I have the right to walk around in my pajamas all weekend if I so desire." In case you were wondering what my plans are..