On a good day, parenting will test the integrity of your character. On a bad day, parenting will test your will to live. Parenting children with trauma histories will cause you to test the integrity of everything and everyone you thought you knew, for the rest of your life.
~J. Skrobisz

Sunday, October 2, 2011

Carousel Horse? I don't think so!

The Girl Scout Law says:
I will do my best to be honest and fair, friendly and helpful, considerate and caring, courageous and strong, responsible for what I say and do, respect myself and others, respect authority, use resources wisely and be a sister to every Girl Scout.

If every human lived by this law, imagine the world we would have! Of course, after the past 72 hours, I'm not really keen on the "be a sister to every Girl Scout" part. I'd much rather deck 'em all square on the nose, then sock 'em in the gut, then laugh at them when they cry.

Sheesh. Angry much? Yep.

Full circle, my friends, full circle. Once again, riding this friggin' carousel of mental health therapy, the finger is pointing back at us for erroneous parenting strategies.

What does a good Girl Scout do when she's mad as hell at the world and wants to get in her van and drive until she gets to the Pacific coast, then keep on going? She spends her entire Saturday outdoors, helping other people.

Duh.

I wore myself out. I was so stinking exhausted I didn't have enough energy to pee before I sacked out in the bed.

The day started at 9 am at the local Girl Scout camp, which is just two miles from our house. Animalpalooza, a service unit event, was a blast. All were encouraged to bring donations for the local animal shelters. We made dog biscuits, catnip toys, watched K-9 dogs at work, met therapy dogs, learned the importance of spaying and neutering your pet and signed a petition for the local county to make some ordinances in favor of protecting animals. My Brownies had a blast, WG included.

Then we went home just long enough to put on boots, grab a drink, collect AB and head out to the horse ranch for a barn party. I volunteered myself as a farm hand and worked HARD! But I love those horses and I love all the people and I even got to ride!

I was still pretty angry when I crashed at 8:30 but at least I helped a lot of people while I worked off some of that angst. Next up: another FTM at the hospital on Tuesday and finding out if Sissy gets another month or if she's discharged next week.

Hooray.

I'm

so

excited.

Wheeeee,

I

just

LOVE

riding

this

dang

carousel.

Can't

wait

to

go

around

again.

See? I'm a happy Girl Scout. *enter fake smile here* At least I can give you pictures of REAL horses and happy riders:
 WG and AB hunting treasures in the backyard
the priceless part isn't the treasures they found, it's that they are happily playing together
Although the people pictured are all dear friends, I've not officially asked permission to post these photos so I will only name the horses.

 In the ring - go around again!

3 year old mare, Maya
(and an unhappy helper - after I snapped the photo I took the
lead rope and walked Maya to a happier babysitter)

Cabo!  
I rode him later

Doolittle!

Left to right: Sterling and pony Mingo


In the middle: Serafina



Sterling and Serafina with WG as her rider

270' view of Rock Creek at sunset
(South is the cow pasture across the street)
West
Northwest
North

East

1 comment:

Becky said...

So get that - the mental health carousel.

Upon my unstable sons discharge last night from an acute stay the doc gave me a letter to give to everyone who needs it to explain that he needs a residential placement ASAP. A typed, two page letter explaining that he is not stable, "incapable of community based functioning," has had multiple outpatient interventions and several acute stays "which have failed to stabilize him..."

And for all that the hospitals and outpatient have done that has not worked ... they also had to include a statement that said we would also need family therapy in establishing the necessary structure and consistency he would need to be successful in a home setting.

Really? All that and more meds than a lil old person takes and they even want to entertain the idea that *I* do not have enough structure and consistency?

Me thinks the mental health field has a hard time saying they can't accomplish it. If two dozen diagnoses and a host of meds can't do it - must surely be the parent! ;-P

(((Hugs))) to you.